Khan Lab School Learning Design
Khan Lab School is designing student-centered global learning experiences, accessible to the world.
The KLS Learning Design encompasses four categories, which you can read about in detail on our website:
- Approach to Learning (ATL)
- Architecture of Learning (AOL)
- Academic & Character Outcomes (ACO)
- Art of Teaching (AOT)
Further reading: FAQ.
We publish an e-newsletter for educators several times each year with updates and insights about our model. If you would like to subscribe to the Lab Notebook newsletter, please sign up here!
- Life as a Student and Life on Mars: A teacher reflects on how helping her students prepared her for her own challenges in Spain, Thailand, and Bangkok.
- Giving Peer Feedback Helps Writers Grow: Our ELA Specialist offers advice to fellow teachers on how to improve students' writing through peer feedback and engagement.
- Character and Setting: Giving Students a Place in the Learning Design: Our Head of Middle & Upper School asks, “Can we build an effective space for personalized learning?”
- What does the future of education look like? Forum Mag interviews former Executive Director Dominic Liechti and discusses his thoughts on the future of education.
Read more articles published by our team here: Educator Insights.
The One World Schoolhouse
The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined is a 2013 book by our founder, Sal Khan, in which he presents his radical vision for the future of education. The book discusses:
- How both students and teachers are being bound by a broken top-down model invented in Prussia two centuries ago
- Why technology will make classrooms more human and teachers more important
- How and why we can afford to pay educators the same as other professionals
- How we can bring creativity and true human interactivity back to learning
- Why we should be very optimistic about the future of learning.
Khan Lab School is based on the ideas presented in this book. The One World Schoolhouse is available from Amazon and other booksellers.
News Coverage of Our Model
A number of organizations and media outlets have visited KLS and published their experiences and opinions, including NPR, Voice of America, Edutopia, International School Magazine, and CBS News. To read the latest publications about KLS, please visit this link: In the News.
We frequently publish photos, news, and videos on all of our social media channels in order to share our model in action. To receive regular updates, please subscribe to Khan Lab School here:
Khan Academy Resources
Khan Academy provides online resources for teachers, parents, and mentors at khanacademy.org/resources.