Community Engagement Opportunity
March 26, 2020 / 5 mins read
Support KLS Student Efforts for COVID-19 Response
KLS students have been working on projects to support the community in small ways during theCOVID-19pandemic. For those who would like to supportthese student-driven efforts, these are some ways to contribute.
Ways to Support
- 3D Printing Masks: Due to the shortage of masks and other PPE for medical professionals, over 100 robotics teams, students, and families have been teaming up to print masksusing 3D printers.If you have a 3D printer or know someone who does, pleasefilloutthis form, printthismodel file, anduse the contact information in the form tocoordinatehandoff of materials. If you don't have a 3D printer, you can still help by sharing with others. The more 3D printers, the better!
- 3D Printing Face Shields: Nicholas and Robert, members of the Khan Lab School Student Leadership Team recently featured in theMountain View Voice, have mobilized our printers to create face shields, making the bottom pieces in one and the headbands in another. Printing requires ink (or filament in this case), and we need as much as possible to achieve our goal of producing 200 units! That is where you can help.Any small donation can contribute to funds for our 3D printer filament.Each spool costs approximately $29 and allows us to produce roughly 10 shield headbands.Needless to say, more filament leads to more shields! We are running our 3D printers off-site 24/7 while the campus is closed, and we need your help purchasing more filament (Dremel Digilab 1.75 mm PLA & FlashForge Finder 1.75 mm PLA). Please support this effort through ourGoFundMeandview our printer livestream!
- Medical Supply Fundraiser: KLS students and the extended community are seeking donations to fund masks and other supplies medical professionals need.They are halfway to their fundraisinggoal and have been able to donate 3,500 masks to fivedifferent Bay Area hospitals. Learn morehereand consider sharingwith friends and family.
- Personal Protective Equipment Drive: To support healthcare workers in the shortage of PPE equipment, KLS students are starting a PPE drive. If you have access to any of the below equipment, pleasedrop them off at any location listedhereor fill outthis formfor pickup.Anything you can help contribute makes a difference!
- Masks (N95, surgical, and procedure)
- Disinfecting wipes such as Clorox or Sani-cloth wipes(including homemade)
- Hand sanitizer
- Face shields
- Goggles and eye shields(hard, soft, any)
- Isolation or surgical gownsor non-permeable painters smocks
- CAPR/PAPR machines and disposables
- Flocked swabs
- Shoe covers
- Nurse caps
- Nitrile gloves
- More ideashere
For more information on what you can do to contribute, visit thelist of Bay Area hospitalsin need of PPE.
- Additional Ways to Support:This is a list of additional ideas for ways to support local relief efforts.
- Donate and/orvolunteer forfood banks
- Check in on vulnerable members in your community
- Share information aboutfree meal locationsfor school-aged children
—Nunu (IL6 Student) on behalf of the Upper School Leadership Team