Community Engagement Opportunity
Support KLS Student Efforts for COVID-19 Response
KLS students have been working on projects to support the community in small ways during the COVID-19 pandemic. For those who would like to support these student-driven efforts, these are some ways to contribute.
Ways to Support
- 3D Printing Masks: Due to the shortage of masks and other PPE for medical professionals, over 100 robotics teams, students, and families have been teaming up to print masks using 3D printers. If you have a 3D printer or know someone who does, please fill out this form, print this model file, and use the contact information in the form to coordinate handoff of materials. If you don't have a 3D printer, you can still help by sharing with others. The more 3D printers, the better!
- 3D Printing Face Shields: Nicholas and Robert, members of the Khan Lab School Student Leadership Team recently featured in the Mountain View Voice, have mobilized our printers to create face shields, making the bottom pieces in one and the headbands in another. Printing requires ink (or filament in this case), and we need as much as possible to achieve our goal of producing 200 units! That is where you can help. Any small donation can contribute to funds for our 3D printer filament. Each spool costs approximately $29 and allows us to produce roughly 10 shield headbands. Needless to say, more filament leads to more shields! We are running our 3D printers off-site 24/7 while the campus is closed, and we need your help purchasing more filament (Dremel Digilab 1.75 mm PLA & FlashForge Finder 1.75 mm PLA). Please support this effort through our GoFundMe and view our printer livestream!
- Medical Supply Fundraiser: KLS students and the extended community are seeking donations to fund masks and other supplies medical professionals need. They are halfway to their fundraising goal and have been able to donate 3,500 masks to five different Bay Area hospitals. Learn more here and consider sharing with friends and family.
- Personal Protective Equipment Drive: To support healthcare workers in the shortage of PPE equipment, KLS students are starting a PPE drive. If you have access to any of the below equipment, please drop them off at any location listed here or fill out this form for pickup. Anything you can help contribute makes a difference!
- Masks (N95, surgical, and procedure)
- Disinfecting wipes such as Clorox or Sani-cloth wipes (including homemade)
- Hand sanitizer
- Face shields
- Goggles and eye shields (hard, soft, any)
- Isolation or surgical gowns or non-permeable painters smocks
- CAPR/PAPR machines and disposables
- Flocked swabs
- Shoe covers
- Nurse caps
- Nitrile gloves
- More ideas here
For more information on what you can do to contribute, visit the list of Bay Area hospitals in need of PPE.
- Additional Ways to Support: This is a list of additional ideas for ways to support local relief efforts.
—Nunu (IL6 Student) on behalf of the Upper School Leadership Team